Re: [OPE-L] Say's Law

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 13:46:55 EDT

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:05:40 -0400
  Jerry Levy <Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM> wrote:
>> Assuming that S = D for certain theoretical purposes is not the same as
>> "being a prisoner to Say's Law".  According to Say's Law, S must = D
>> ALWAYS AND OF NECESSITY in the real world.
>
> Hi Fred:
>
> While I agree that assuming S = D at one level of abstraction is not
> equivalent to assuming Say's Law,

While I think there is equivalence...in a sense...I agree with the rest
of your post, Jerry. In his book on the topic Sowell discovered
six or seven meanings for Say's Law. But in a sense surely
Fred is right, in that capitalist circulation is often equated with barter,
so there has been the belief that supply necessarily creates the
potential demand (if distributed correctly) to sop up that
supply. Why oversupply here would be matched with overdemand
there is something Marx tried to show the liklihood of
in the repro schemes, so that the adjustment process
would likely be hardly smooth but shot through with
disturbances and crises. I must say that I find Marx's
exposition quite difficult, awkward, and I have yet
to read a great improvment on the use of repro schema
to show difficulties in the continuous adjustment process. There is surely
expositional work to be done here. Foley's use is very intellectually
satisfying but it is more in the use of the repro schema as a model
of the determinants of growth. I would like the repro schema
to be read primarily as a critique of the easy adjustment implied
by Say's Law, not as a model of growth which dangerously suggests
the infinity of capital, a la Hilferding and today Stedman Jones.

Rakesh

I think that what you assert above