Re: [OPE-L] The HM [Haunted and Mysterious] Conference

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 04:12:33 EDT

Jerry,

I don't know what created to you so many problems
in the title of my paper. I think it is a good
piece of scholarship(though I am the last you
should say that, I know!), based on a close
rereading of Capital (also in the original): but
the analogy takes a couple of lines (and the
title) ... As for Marx, I think my reference to
vampres should be read in the context of my paper.

You are right: I saw gothic films, but I am not a
fan of horror stories, so my culture here is
lacking. Though I liked very much "They live", by
John Carpenter, 1988, which is quite up to the
point here, though not a gothic horror stories,
don't you think?

But my use of the vampire analogy is going
exactly in the opposite direction of Ian. Marx's
vampires are very active, they are parasites but
the reality we are talking about does not exist
without this activity. Here we have one of the
most distinctive differences between capital and
other modes of production.

The problem is that capital is a very special
kind of subject: it is a pseudo subject, but it
is THE Subject.

For the rest, Jerry, I find your mail
enlightening. Thanks. Btw, you show quite
convincingly the vampire analogy is recurrent and
systematic.

riccardo

--
Riccardo Bellofiore