Re: [OPE-L] Derrida's ghosts

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 13:31:44 EST

Rakesh

>  I am not altogether clear about how Newtonian theory should
>  be understood as causal.

Neither am I, but I do think the giant leap forward was the
measurement of empirical variables in controlled situations and the
use of the calculus to model the underlying mechanisms of change. A
differential equation is a highly compressed statement about lawful
relations between surface phenomena. It is a causal statement par
excellence.
Both Hegel and Marx studied the calculus.

Best wishes,

-Ian.