Re: [OPE-L] W J Blake clarification requested

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 00:44:06 EST

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:01:47 -0500
  Jerry Levy <Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM> wrote:
> According to the following, Shoul was born in 1920 and died in
> 1977.  Dunayevskaya was born in 1910 and died in 1987.
> Shoul was born in Newburyport, Mass.; RD  was born in the
> Ukraine and moved with her parents to Chicago.  For your
> speculation to be believed, then Rohna Shoul should _not_ be
> believed.  Your speculation both in effect asserts that  Shoul's
> family didn't know her real identity  (or lied to you about it)

Geez, I would not call it lying. Revolutionaries have often assumed fictitious
identites which comrades have respected, and even taken to their
own grave..

and
> the Marxist-Humanist followers of Dunayevskaya also don't know
> her real identity

why would they have to?

(or for some mysterious reason plotted to keep it
> a secret).

Why would they not refer to her by her nom de guerre?

  I could go on and on ... but the bottom line is that there is
> _not the slightest possibility_, imho, that RD and BS  were the
> same person.

Yet it remains true that RD basically took over Grossmann's
interpretation of Capital without ever citing him. She even
speaks of the third volume as Marx's closest approximation!
She repeated HG's criticism of Luxemburg. My point
is of course political: as a leader of anti Stalinist political
organization she could not admit what she had to admit
as a scholar--her 'economics' were taken from a political
Stalinist. Mattick dealt with the problem much more honestly.

Rakesh