Re: [OPE-L] Re determinism in Derrida's ghosts

From: clyder@GN.APC.ORG
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 16:27:10 EST

Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:

> Does that mean any  conception of causality not present in mechanics
> is semi subjectivist and prescientific? I don't see how you are supporting
> this; nor do I see how you have made a case for redefining causality rather
> than dispensing with it altogether as a primitive concept having its
> origins in,,say, retribution or primitive cosmology.

I would be happy enough with a suggestion that the standard notion of causality
might have its origins in juridical ideology and notions of retribution.
That is at least plausible.

The position I am defending is an amalgum of Althusserianism and
Australian Materialism, as elaborated by JJC Smart and H Price.

For a detailed account see

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/9406/9406028.pdf