Re: [OPE-L] Anita's Chocolate Cake

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 17:47:41 EST

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I think we are talking past each other a bit, although there have certainly been intersections.  For one, I do not agree with your characterization of my intervention as "a call for an exchange of perspectives between post modern materialism and critical realism," nor have I been searching out differences.  My concern has been to defend levels of organization and emergence in nature and society from the perspective of broadly scientific realism.  This is a point that was directly put in question by Steve's post.  Also, while I will defend Bhaskar's contribution to the philosophy of science, which I think is substantial, the challenge posed by the contemporary philosophy of science to the way we think about marxism and social theory cannot be pigeonholed or limited or reduced to an 'ism' associated with him.  Nor does that characterize my own efforts.

You comment on my concluding sentences as follows:  "I am not comfortable with the idea that in order to 'situate' the social sciences we must take 'on board' the [quoting me] 'levels and layers of the natural order' : we cannot assume that the social order can be grasped using the same methods used by scientists who seek to comprehend the natural order."  My point really was only to say that if the natural order reflects levels of organization and if the social order is emergent from it, then we have to appreciate and appropriate this understanding of the natural order in order to situate the social one.  Wouldn't you agree that if so understood conclusions about the sameness of methods are a non sequitur?  Anyway I agree with you we can't assume the methods are the same and we should even be surprised if they were.

I agree that explanatory power may vary with the level of analysis and that different research methods will often be required depending on the level under investigation.   You write:

JERRY:  That is, there
is a different role for chance and surprise depending on the level
of abstraction of the analysis, i.e. as we proceed to reconstruct a
subject matter in thought the role of chance which is often assumed
not to exist except as potential at a more abstract level of
abstraction,  must be considered when we analyze a phenomena
in its most concrete, specific form. END QUOTE.

If it's legitimate for me to substitute "surprise" for "chance" in your second use of the word "chance", I'm interested in what it means for surprise (or chance) to exist only "as potential at a more abstract level of abstraction."  This is interesting.

In solidarity,

Howard