[OPE-L] Elmar Altvater on the privatisation of public goods

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 10:36:02 EST

I've noticed that Altvater's paper on the "privatisation of public goods" is
available online in two places:

http://www.rosalux.de/cms/fileadmin/rls_uploads/wemgehoertdiewelt/altvater_0312.pdf
and
http://buho.economia.unam.mx/actividades/seminario_ep05/Altvater/sesion2_publicgoods.pdf

I've done a short English wiki entry on Altvater here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmar_Altvater
(the wiki article on privatization is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privatization )

An IMF paper on the quantitative dimensions of privatisation I cited before
is here:
 http://www.imf.org/External/Pubs/FT/staffp/2004/02/pdf/brune.pdf
A World Bank paper is here:
http://www.cipe.org/publications/fs/ert/e27/shirle27.htm
The World Bank privatization database, plus a research paper, is here:
http://rru.worldbank.org/Privatization/
OECD papers:
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/57/34/1897976.pdf
http://www.oecd.org/statisticsdata/0,2643,en_2649_34847_1_119656_1_1_1,00.html
Another discussion of global privatisation is:
http://www.international.ucla.edu/cms/files/privatization.pdf
For privatization in the US, see:
http://www.privatization.org/database/trendsandstatistics.html
and a glossary: http://www.gao.gov/special.pubs/gg97121.htm
critical New Internationalist article:
http://www.newint.org/issue355/facts.htm

Where was it exactly, in the Grundrisse, that Marx envisaged that the growth
of capital meant that the private sector would eventually take over many
state functions (I cannot find the exact quote)?

Jurriaan