Re: [OPE-L] Graduate studies in Marxism

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 10:33:40 EST

At 8:27 -0500 29-11-2005, Jerry Levy wrote:

>PS: as for the first question, [excluding myself] aren't most
>of the 'best' Marxist economists right here on OPE-L?

I don't know why, but on this I had perfect
foresight about what was the right answer (though
I would include you, and exclude myself)

btw, I agree with your criteria

in the 70s I would have had an easier answer.
knowing German, I would have gone in Germany to
study with Backhaus or Reichelt on the value-form
(though, or because, they were not economists),
in France with Suzanne de Brunhoff on money (a
most underdeveloped area at the time), in Italy
(early 70s) with Napoleoni (who at the time had
an open attitude in taking up again the Marxian
labour theory of value as sound economic theory,
but without any neo-orthodox tendency, taht is
recognizing how problematic was Marx's legacy).

today, I would go to look at the New School in
the US, Paris X in France. and Utah, because Hans
work on Capital's translation from German is
wonderful.

but I must confess that the choice is influenced also by the cities.

but I fear that there is no single place, and I
would strongly advice to learn French, Spanish
(because the Latin America is the most lively
political place) and German (because Marx wrote
in German).

rb

ps: if there is somebody who knows Italian, or
enjoy seeing a debate on Marx in Italian without
understanding a word, but with the secretary of
the Italian comunist party in it, for some time
the afternoon of the Bergamo conference on
Italian marxism may be seen through the web. A
lot of people came
--
Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche