Re: [OPE-L] abstraction and surprise

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 03:24:10 EST

Paul,

You write:

The below misunderstands Chaitins point. It is that no
deductions can contain more information than is included
in the premises.

I reply: That is exactly the point I was making.

You wrote:

The claims of dialectical logic to be able to produce
information from nowhere hide the fact that hidden
presuppositions are sneaked in the back door, from
our existing knowledge of the world.

I reply: Who made such a claim? (I explicitly denied it in my post). Nobodying is 'sneaking' anything in! The point is that premises *are* necessarily interrelated to the rest of the world. We can learn something new by fathoming their interrelation. This is not sneaky, it's true. Formal logic abstracts form from content, and just studies form - so to base theory on formal logic is to presume that knowledge, and so presumably reality, is rooted just in manipulating symbols according to fixed rules of syntax. Knowledge and reality are not so rooted -Chaitin's argument applies to formal systems and shows their fundamental limitations. To overcome these, you have give up the abstraction made by formal logic, the abstraction of form from content and start to look at their interrelation as a whole (no doubt Chaitin wouldn't agree with this last which maybe your point). That's what dialectical logic does. It saves the word 'logic' from the unfortunate fate of being tied to formal systems.

Many thanks,

Andy