Re: [OPE-L] Theories and practices of economic laws

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 09:33:38 EST

> A side comment - I think Marx's point is really that the "underlying
> economic mechanisms" only observably reveal themselves in situations of
> socio-economic crisis, conflicts and wars.

Hi Jurriaan:

Yet,  some of the "laws" asserted by Marx, such as the tendency for
the formation of prices of production and a general rate of profit and the
law of increased productivity of labor, to the extent that they are
empirically manifested,  reveal themselves in non-crisis situations.
Why would either of these tendencies _only_, or even_ generally_,
reveal themselves particularly in times of socio-economic crisis?

btw, what do you (and others on the list)  think about the position of
(former member) Julian Wells on  Marx's statistical conception and
whether Marx believed that the rate of profit equalizes? (see attached).

In solidarity, Jerry