Re: [OPE-L] Overdetermination & Science

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 13:51:16 EST

Hi Antonio

I think it weakens your agument because it seems irrelevant, like
pulling a rabbit from a hat. It's well documented by Sokal etc. how
postmodernist theorists have used various popularizations of quantum
mechanics to add authority to irrealist arguments. I think you
arguments stand on their own without the additional appeal to quantum
mechanics.

I read the New York Times article you mentioned. I do not understand
how it could be read as evidence of the mind-dependence of reality.
Rather, it seems to be an ongoing debate within physics of the meaning
and adequacy of quantum mechanics. The Copenhagen interpretation,
although influential, is not universally held. I think we should let
the physicists work through their conceputal difficulties. Jerry's
agnosticism is a healthy attitude.

-Ian.