Re: [OPE-L] class struggle as a causal structure

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 09:18:52 EST

> 10.  Let me narrow the differences.  Scientific realism insists on the
> mind independence of the causal structures of the world.  This is
> because we need  to accommodate our practices to them in order to
> get our practice right.  Beyond that, because all observation and
> investigation is theory dependent,  realism might readily be prepared
> to concede virtually all the important  postmodern critiques of social
> theory.  And whether or not there are mind independent causal
> structures that we need to accommodate our practice to does seem
> itself to be a question open to the test of practice.

Hi Howard,

a)  I think we can all agree that class and class struggle is a causal
structure in the  (contemporary) world.

b)  Class _struggle_ is causally constituted, in part,  through collective
consciousness.

c)  Ergo class struggle can not be conceived of or practiced without the
active participation of class members which in turn requires that those
class members have some understanding of the issues that they are
engaged in struggle about.  This not only follows logically but is
something that we should grasp through experience (the 'test' of
practice).

d)  Doesn't it therefore follow that _this_ causal structure in the
world _is_  'mind dependent'?     This, of course, does mean
that class struggle is _only_  'mind-dependent.'

In solidarity, Jerry