Re: [OPE-L] class struggle as a causal structure

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 12:49:07 EST

Another brief thought trying to at this in a different way. The debate
between reform vs. revolution in the history of Marxism is also about
"deferral". Abstractly, according to Marx, the persistent economic
structures of capitalism necessarily cause certain social ills.
Political reforms do not causally effect those enduring structures and
hence necessarily fail to eradicate those social ills. This is
essentially the Marxist justification for profound economic change.

*If* this theory is correct, and if we have the goal of absenting
those ills, then we must change the enduring economic structures, i.e.
we must "defer" to the social reality of the situation in order to
effectively achieve our aims. It would also be incumbent on the
holders of such a theory to communicate it and try it out, including
telling other people "how it is" and even how they should change their
practice. And isn't this what politics is about? There's nothing
essentially "patronizing" about this, in fact just the opposite (it is
a kind of helping), although I note what you describe regarding the
history of certain Marxist practices.

Best,

-Ian.