Re: [OPE-L] Marx and markets

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 10:11:30 EST

> “They [opponents of over-engineered cars in the past and over-engineered
> PCs now] honour Marx’s dictum that *capitalism is a conspiracy not by
> the free market but against it*”, Simon Jenkins, The Guardian, London, 6
> January 2006 (in a (sceptical) op-ed piece about whether online news
> would ever supplant newspapers.
> Did Marx ever write any such thing? If so, where?

Hi Michael W,

It's good to hear from you again.  I hope you enjoyed the holidays.

As best as I can determine (after some Internet searches), no.  But,
Jenkins doesn't _quote_ Marx -- he could be paraphrasing him.  It
would be interesting to see the actual quote and compare it to the
paraphrase, but I think you'd have to ask Jenkins to get the former.
We might have the makings here of 2 more Marx Myths and Legends',
namely:

1) the assertion that Marx believed that capitalism is a conspiracy
2) the assertion that Marx believed that capitalism/capitalists
   conspired against free markets.

2) might be valid _if_ one substituted an individual capitalist
nation instead of capitalism _and_ substituted free trade instead
of free markets.  But, if these substitutions were made then the
claim would be quite different from the original one made by
Jenkins.

In solidarity, Jerry