Re: [OPE-L] Marx and markets

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 22:08:47 EST

> Jenkins similarly writes, in his article referred to by Michael,
> for example that "If it is the case that monopolists have contrived to
> throttle the $200 computer, I pray that some genius will come to my
> aid."

Hi Jurriaan:

What's different is that the form of competition has changed in
significant ways since the time of Smith.  When Jenkins highlights the
the oligopolistic practices of computer manufacturers he is not
repeating the errors of Smith; rather, he is pointing to a
competitive reality in a significant segment of the marketplace
(oligopolistic pricing and the strategy of product differentiation).

In solidarity, Jerry