Re: [OPE-L] Earnings mobility

From: Bill Cochrane (BILLC@WAIKATO.AC.NZ)
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 16:08:52 EST

Thanks Ian - My brief read of the report shows that these guys are in
league with each other so there is a lot of comparability. I am
suspicious of the downward mobility of the top quartile - particularly
into the bottom quartiles as the top obviously has far more opportunity
for hiding income - family trusts, self employment - hence are able to
show artificially low incomes. I think that if a measure of wealth
rather than income was used  we would have a far stronger picture with
intergenerational mobility being restricted to the middle quartiles.