Re: [OPE-L] Oil Sands

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 09:47:41 EST

<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/031013/13canada_2.htm>

Hi Paul C,

Thanks for the reference.  The title of this article, though, is:

"Sand Dollars: New technology makes it easier to tap Canada's
oil reserves"

A number of articles that I read online also point to the
environmental consequences of mining and refining the oil
sands which you highlighted, but it seems to me that, unless
there is the emergence of a mass movement in Canada to
challenge this mining, these likely environmental consequences
alone are not going to stop the mining. And let's not forget that
a new conservative prime minister was just elected in Canada.

Since the oil sands are a substitute means towards obtaining
additional supply of oil,  what seems to be really pushing this
alternative forward is the increasing price of petroleum on world
markets.  So long as the price of oil from conventional sources
goes up (unless there is the development of less expensive
alternative energy technologies, e.g. unless there are technological
breakthroughs in solar power, etc.) there will be additional economic
incentive to mine the oil sands more extensively.

In solidarity, Jerry