Re: [OPE-L] price of production/supply price/value

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 04:46:39 EST

Paul,

In my terms 'immanent' and 'external' refer to *measures*.

weight has immanent measure (force in units of the Newton) and extrenal measure (say iron, say in units of a standard 'blocks')

mass has immanent measure ('quantity of matter' which doesn't have any units as such) and extrenal measure (could be blocks of iron again.. the units of an external measure are officially used to measure mass).

value has immanent measure (labour-time, in units of time) and extrenal measure (price, i.e quantity of money in appropriate units of money).

You are right that 'mass' is closer to 'value' in terms of a qualitative analogy. But weight is better when thinking about measures because it brings out how something intrinsically invisible is given a 'form of appearance' by being measured.

You write

" I think we use the term value
slightly differently. By value I mean the labour content, I suspect
that by value you mean something closer to what I would call
generalised exchange value. The latter obviously does not exist
unless there are exchanges which in their turn measure the value.

The former is a property of the technical conditions of social
production
and would exist even without commodity exchange - in a non commodity
producing society. Such a society might or might not have a mechanism
for measuring the allocation of social labour, but the necessity to
allocate the labour ( whether by explicit calculation or by simple
custom and practice as in M's account of traditional Indian villages )
would still remain. In this way value - abstract social labour will
continue
to have social effects even if it is not measured.

Thus at the basis what we are arguing about may just be the usage
of terms."

I reply:

Your position on this is crystal clear just from posts on OPE-L over the years. My view is not the one you suggest. I think value-form theory tends towards the view you suggest I might hold, equating value with general exchangeablility (Rubin certainly does this quite alot - always?). For me, value gives rise to general exchangeablity but by no means is it general exchangeablity. Instead value is congealed abstract labor. It is the labour that has gained the ability to generate exchange ratios (i.e. to give rise to general exchangeability in definite proportions.) Your trans-historical labour-time property of the technical conditions of production doesn't do this in all societies. Only in a specific society does the trans-historical property become congealed abstract labour, a substance inherent in the product, generating exchange ratios.

Andy