Re: [OPE-L] Two new articles at artefact

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 08:54:39 EST

Hi Michael E!

It's good to hear from you and congratulations on the 10th anniversary
of your website.  A brief comment and question about the following
article:  in a sense, 'valuing the Earth' has been incorporated
into mainstream welfare economics through cost-benefit calculations.
Yet, we also have the practical experience with Neo-Liberalism (I'm
thinking especially of the Reagan administration) of how these
calculations were used as a means towards _not_ protecting the
Earth.  So a question I have about your market approach is: what is
the role of the State in protecting the Earth?  Don't we have tons of
experience, indeed doesn't all of capitalist history tell us, that
unregulated capitalism will damage our planet?

In solidarity, Jerry