Re: [OPE-L] price of production/supply price/value

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 13:08:45 EST

I meant distinction, not discussion:

Yes, I think we should obliterate this DISTINCTION even though
Marx was committed to it. In fact I don't
think your or Marx's macro theory is macro enough! Surplus value is not first
produced at the level of individual capitals or even individual branches.
Surplus value is a macro-economic magnitude produced by the
transindividual subject the working class.

In a recent message I wrote:

To my mind, surplus value is not produced at the level of individual
capitals or even
branches. For this implies that if one were to take away some
individual capitals or a whole
branch, then surplus value would be reduced accordingly. But the
capitalist totality is more
than a sum of its parts (it is not a Cartesian totality, to use
Stephen Cullenberg's term), for said taking away may not just reduce
surplus value but
destroy the system as such--there would be no surplus value at all. Just as we
say that moving a heavy table is not the work of the individuals Jim
and Bob but of the
collective or transindividual subject Jim-and-Bob, surplus value is
not produced by
separate workforces at individual capitals. Surplus value is produced
by the collective
working class. It is a macro phenomenon produced by a transindividual subject
(I think Lucien Goldmann's theory of the transindividual subject may be
one of the most important contributions to Marxist philosophy); surplus
value is appropriated at the level of the totality. Marx's social
ontology is based
on the reality of transindividual subjects. Methodological
individualist Marxism is
an impossibility.