Re: [OPE-L] centralization of capital

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 11:42:30 EST

Addendum:

The passage that I cited before on "centralization proper" appears in
Volume 1, Ch. 25, Section 2.  In the Penguin/Vintage ed. it is on p.
777.  Midway through the next paragraph (the one that begins "The
laws of this centralization of capitals ...") there is a long footnote
(by Fowkes?) which begins:

"*[the passage which follow, from 'In its first stages' to 'movement
towards centralization' (p. 780) was ADDED BY ENGELS to the
fourth German edition, on the basis of the French translation of
1872.  It REPLACES the following passage, written by Marx and
retained throughout the first three German editions;] ' ...." (Ibid,
p. 777-778, emphasis added).

No reason is given for the change.

In solidarity, Jerry