Re: [OPE-L] New article at artefact

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 00:11:39 EST

Jurriaan wrote:

>The exact quote from Marx, often cited (because according to the TP
>literature that gives the game away, as it were),  is as follows:
>
>"The foregoing statements have at any rate modified the original assumption
>concerning the determination of the cost-price of commodities. We had
>originally assumed that the cost-price of a commodity equalled the value of
>the commodities consumed in its production. But for the buyer the price of
>production of a specific commodity is its cost-price, and may thus pass as
>cost-price into the prices of other commodities. Since the price of
>production may differ from the value of a commodity, it follows that the
>cost-price of a commodity containing this price of production of another
>commodity may also stand above or below that portion of its total value
>derived from the value of the means of production consumed by it. It is
>necessary to remember this modified significance of the cost-price, and to
>bear in mind that there is always the possibility of an error if the
>cost-price of a commodity in any particular sphere is identified with the
>value of the means of production consumed by it. Our present analysis does
>not necessitate a closer examination of this point. It remains true,
>nevertheless, that the cost-price of a commodity is always smaller than its
>value. For no matter how much the cost-price of a commodity may differ from
>the value of the means of production consumed by it, this past mistake is
>immaterial to the capitalist. The cost-price of a particular [purchased]
>commodity is a definite condition which is given, and independent of the
>production of our capitalist, while the result of his production [i.e. the
>new output] is a commodity containing surplus-value, therefore an excess of
>value over and above its cost-price."
>http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch09.htm

OK that's Marx admission of an error or incompleteness in his transformation
procedure. What I am arguing is that Marx is not admitting that he left
his inputs in the form of value prices or simple prices or values.

So what does Marx mean when he writes (to repeat the passage):

>We had originally assumed that the cost-price of a commodity
>equalled the value of
>the commodities consumed in its production. But for the buyer the price of
>production of a specific commodity is its cost-price, and may thus pass as
>cost-price into the prices of other commodities. Since the price of
>production may differ from the value of a commodity, it follows that the
>cost-price of a commodity containing this price of production of another
>commodity may also stand above or below that portion of its total
>value derived from the value of the means of production consumed by
>it.

In order to get at what Marx is saying here, one need only compare
this passage to
another in chapter 12 at
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch12.htm

This is never done.

>We have seen how a deviation in prices of production from values
>arises from: 1) adding the average profit instead of the
>surplus-value contained in a commodity to is cost-price; 2) the
>price of production, which so deviates from the value of a
>commodity, entering into the cost-price of other commodities as one
>of its elements, so that the cost-price of a commodity may already
>contain a deviation from value in those means of production consumed
>by it, quite aside from a deviation of its own which may arise
>through a difference between the average profit and the
>surplus-value.
>It is therefore possible that even the cost-price of commodities
>produced by capitals of average composition may differ from the sum
>of the values of the elements which make up this component of their
>price of production. Suppose, the average composition is 80c+20v.
>Now, it is possible that in the actual capitals of this composition
>80c may be greater or smaller than the value of c, i.e., the
>constant capital, because this c may be made up of commodities whose
>price of production differs from their value. In the same way, 20v
>might diverge from its value if the consumption of the wage includes
>commodities whose price of production diverges from their value; in
>which case the labourer would work a longer, or shorter, time to buy
>them back (to replace them) and would thus perform more, or less,
>necessary labour than would be required if the price of production
>of such necessities of life coincided with their value.

Marx is obviously saying that the 80c is determined by the price of
production of items of
constant capital, not by their value. That is, Marx is not admitting
that he left his inputs
untransformed, that he at any point had the  costs of the means of
production determined by
value of those means, as monetarily expressed. Marx is quite clear
that 80c had to be laid out
to purchase the means of production at their prices of production.

What he is saying is that the value transferred from those means of
production may not
be proportional to their respective prices of production, but this is
just the error Marx made
in writing up his transformation table. He assumed that he could
determine the value transferred
through the consumption of the means of production from their flow prices.

Marx is also  not saying that the 20 "dollars" laid out in variable
capital was determined
by the value of the wage goods (as monetarily expressed). In fact he
is explicitly saying
the opposite. Since the price of production of the consumed wage
goods (20 v) may have been less
than their value, the worker performs more unpaid labor time than if
the wage goods had sold
at their respective values, as monetarily expressed (which may have
raised v to, say, $22).
Fewer of his working hours count as necessary labor. Of course if
price of production
of wage goods had been higher than their value, then the capitalist
would have to expend, say,
24 dollars on variable capital; necessary labor time thereby
increased and surplus labor decreased.

At any rate, at no point does Marx say that he did not transform his
inputs from values or
simple prices or values to prices of production.

Unlike Fred Moseley and Alejandro Ramos Martinez, I do however think
Marx was pointing to
an error in his calculations.

But this is exact opposite error it has understood to have been for
more than 100 years.

While Fred has well understood my point, I have been surprised that
no other economist
on this list has understood my attempt to shatter a one hundred year
consensus about
Marx having failed to transform the so called inputs from values to
prices of production.

I am pretty sure that the passage I just cited more than strongly
suggests that people
have simply misread Marx for a century.

Rakesh