[OPE-L] CFP, The History of Capitalism in North America

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 20:20:04 EST

----- Original Message -----

*Call for Papers*:
The History of Capitalism in North America,
Graduate Student Conference at Harvard, October 27-28, 2006

Keynote speaker:  Richard White (Stanford University)

This conference aims to bring together emerging scholars who see
capitalism as an important category of analysis and a topic for
historical inquiry in its own right.  We seek papers from fellow
graduate students whose work broadens our knowledge of the history
of American capitalism and uses capitalism as a prism through which
to understand American history as a whole.

We welcome papers that focus on a variety of topics, not just those
usually associated with economic history.  We are looking for
submissions on subjects related (but not limited) to:

.          Legal structures and the state
·         The built and the natural environments
·         Work and labor
·         Race and slavery
·         Migration and immigration
·         Ideas and culture
·         Gender
·         Class formation
·         Consumerism
·         Agriculture
·         Trans- and multinational corporations
·         Industries and commodities
·         Imperialism and colonialism
·         Innovation and technology
·         Business strategies

Interested graduate students should submit a C.V. and a 750-word
abstract of their paper (description, significance, sources, current
status) to:
History of Capitalism Conference
Charles Warren Center
4th Floor Emerson Hall
Cambridge, MA  02138

The submission deadline is April 15, 2006.
For additional information, please see www.fas.harvard.edu/polecon
or email polecon@fas.harvard.edu

This conference is made possible by the David S. Howe Fund for the
Study of Economic and Business History, with additional support
from the Charles Warren Center for Studies in American History, the
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, the Graduate Program in the
History of American Civilization, and the Harvard History
Department.