[OPE-L] Andrew Sayer Moral Significance of Class

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 04:53:55 EST

Very well written and insightful of the sociology of class
and the lay normativity in terms of which inequality
is understood. Important discussion of the debate about
class injuries from mis recognition and mal distribution.
Very illuminating discussion of Bourdieu's sociology,
and probing discussion of the hidden injuries of class
inequality. Not quite convinced that identity specific
mechanisms such as gender and race are as contingently
related to the economy as Sayer insists however. For
those interested in the statistical findings about
constraints on class mobility this book will surely
prove stimulating reading.
rb

Product Details:
ISBN: 0521616409
Format: Paperback, 256pp
Pub. Date: May 2005
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
Series: Secondary Course Ser.

Moral Significance of Class

FROM THE PUBLISHER
The Moral Significance of Class analyses the moral aspects of
people's experience of class inequalities. Class affects not only our
material wealth but our access to things, relationships and practices
which we have reason to value, including the esteem or respect of
others and hence our sense of self-worth. It shapes the kind of
people we become and our chances of living a fulfilling life. Yet
contemporary culture is increasingly 'in denial' about class, finding
it embarrassing to acknowledge, even though it can often be blatantly
obvious. By drawing upon concepts from moral philosophy and social
theory and applying them to empirical studies of class, this
fascinating and accessible study shows how people are valued in a
context in which their life-chances and achievements are objectively
affected by the lottery of birth class, and by forces which have
little to do with their moral qualities or other merits.

Moral Significance of Class

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1
Introduction