Re: [OPE-L] Marx on Harrington

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 16:46:25 EST

Hi Paul Z,

I can't answer your question, but Engels was certainly aware of
Harrington.  In _On Marx's Capital_,  Section III, in the article
"Law of Value and Rate of Profit", see footnote #1 (in Progress
ed., pp. 102-103).  According to Engels, Loria made the charge
that is suggested below ("And now he bravely declares that Marx
is not at all the originator of this theory; if Aristotle had not already
suggested it, Harrington undoubtedly proclaimed it as early as 1656,
and it had been developed by a Pleiad of historians, politicians, jurists
and economists long before Marx.", Ibid, p. 102) and Engels
dismisses it contemptuously.  A subject, perhaps, for a Marx Myth
and Legend?

In solidarity, Jerry

Anybody know if Marx did anything on the 17th century J. Harrington?