[OPE-L] Capital Income Balance (RE: [OPE-L] Trade Deficit Disorder)

From: Kitamura Iwao (iwao_kitamura@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 18:19:32 EST

I think it is also interesting to see capital income balance as well
as asset balance.

Historically, it looks that US tends to allow depreciation of dollar
against european currencies when US capital income balance
decreases to zero. Depreciation of dollar makes foreign direct
investment income larger in dollar term and makes no change
in payment (mostly interest on US government bonds).
Thus US have been avoiding nagative capital income balance
although it has huge negative balance in assets.

Capital income balance in the 2005Q4 was $-944mil. It will
widen further unless dollar falls.

Iwao