[OPE-L] DNA, Patents, LTV

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 15:28:33 EST

Jonathan Marks What It Means to be 98% Chimpanzee?: Apes, People and their Genes:

"an expert in patenting explained to a genetics conference..that American law favors the scientist
patenting the cells, not the soure of the cells, because the scientist has put the labor into the
cell line, isolating and characterizing the DNA...So I asked the speaker "Given what you've told
us about patent law, I understand why a geneticist would want to collect blood from Indians--there
is a chance however small that they could make some big money. My question is Why would an Indian
wish to give blood to a geneticist?" She said, '...Ummm..altruism?" p. 214

This is a fantastic (and very witty) book about some of the most momentous present developments in
science and technology.

Marks' website is also wonderful.

Rakesh