Re: [OPE-L] Albritton

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 11:58:08 EST

At 06:07 26/03/2006, jerry wrote:
>Hi Mike L,
>
> > Characteristically, rather than examining my evidence and reasoning,
> > Albritton declares this to be 'theory as wish-fulfillment and not a theory
> > as rigorous analysis of capitalism' and proceeds to erupt in Althusserian
> > outrage over 'humanism' and 'essentialism'. There's no surprise here---
> > the Uno-Sekine conception of pure capitalism at its very core rejects any
> > suggestion that capitalism contains the seeds of its own destruction; its
> > purpose is to present capitalism 'as if it were a
> self-perpetuating entity'
> > (Uno, 1980: 125).
>
>I don't really grasp the connection (wedding) that you are trying to make
>between Uno-theory and Althusserian theory -- as  condensed in your
>referring to Rob Albritton as "Rob Althusser."

what a hilarious slip!

>You lost me: when and where have Althusserians advanced a "conception
>of pure capitalism" as if  capitalism was a "self-perpetuating entity"?
>Shouldn't  Althusser's  conception of overdetermination and antagonism
>towards "Hegelianisms"  tell us that Uno-theory (in which basic theory is
>separated from stages theory) and Althusserian theory are quite
>distinct?

sorry, Jerry (and all)--- the points may be clearest by looking at
rob's review and my response. It's Rob who combines Uno-Sekine theory
(not the only variant of Uno-theory) and Althusser. By citing the
text of my response (for lack of time to do otherwise) I introduced
this confusing matter rather than staying with my substantive point
which is that a response to Rob's critique of Chris (and me) should
begin by recognising that he starts not from Capital but from
Uno-Sekine. Incidently, I should stress that, despite our obvious
theoretical differences, Rob and I are friends and have both worked
on the Havana Marx conferences.
         in solidarity,
         michael

>In solidarity, Jerry

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724