Re: [OPE-L] Retraining Laid-Off Workers, but for What? By LOUIS UCHITELLE

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 13:54:55 EST

>Rakesh, thank you for this interesting article. It is in the same
>vein that Michael Yates book: Naming the System, Monthly Review
>Press, 2003. There is a section entitled:
>"The work we do: plenty of bad jobs in the rich nations."
>
>Muchos saludos
>Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,
With heightened job competition among the most vulnerable (downard
mobility of whites now claiming jobs once beneath them, job
competition between Mexican immigrants and the minority American
working class), the eviseration of the social wage (cuts in Medicaire
and more) and the importance of accumulation by dispossession (David
Harvey), I think social Darwinism rather than vulgar, neo harmonist
economics will provide the more popular set of categories through
which social life is understood (as I argued in my dissertation). For
this reason, I think Lewontin, Rose and Kamin's Not In Our Genes is
as an important a critique as Marx's own Capital. Especially in the
US.
Do note that Lewontin et al are not the dogmatic environmentalists
that they are often claimed to be.

Yours, Rakesh