[OPE-L] an ad hominem response

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2006 - 14:00:07 EDT

The original source of the saying "humani nihil a me alienum puto" was the
play Heautontimorumenos (The Self-Tormentor) by the Roman comic
playwright/poet Terence (Publius Terentius Afer, or Publio Terenzio Afro), a
Berber who was born a Roman slave. The play was apparently inspired by, or,
if you like, a take-off from, the work of the Greek playwright Menander. The
full quote is  "homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto", i.e. "I am a man;
nothing human is alien to me".

When Karl Marx was staying with his uncle Lion Philips in Zaltbommel
(Holland), he mentioned to his daughter Terence's quote as his favourite
maxim. http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1865/04/01.htm

Jurriaan