[OPE-L] Should We Celebrate May Day?

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 09:23:16 EDT

Greetings to all on the first of May, 2006.

Note the extensive historical chronology of May Day:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~recall/bleed/0501.htm <

So, as you can see, there is a long history associated
with May Day.  But should we _celebrate_ May Day?
I think we should but the following makes a case to the
contrary.  What do you think of the claims made below?

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: there will most probably be another _huge_ march in
New York City later today -- and at least sixty other
cities in the US.  Today has been called a "day without
immigrants" and there are plans for students to boycott
school,  workers to take a day off,  small businesses
to close, and a call for consumers  not  to spend any
money.  This comes only two days after a massive anti-
war demonstration in NYC --  which was estimated by
a FOX news station (!) to have 350,000 protesters.
I marched in that protest with my union contingent
side-by-side with OPE-L member David L.  It was a
great day for me, except for the end at Foley Square
where tents and tables had been set up.  I was confronted
by a very aggressive person (who happened to be another Marxist
and a Professor of Eeonomics) who (among other indignities and
public outrages) shouted repeatedly at the top of his voice:
"You are the enemy of all humankind!"  Some day I might tell
you more about that.  It was quite a scene -- full of drama,
unintended humor,  and rich in irony.