Re: [OPE-L] Bloody Capital and Dead Labour Cultural Studies

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 15:12:38 EDT

>  >   Marx did not watch horror movies.
>
>Marx knew something about the literature on vampires,
>unlike a certain person..  He certainly knew that, according
>to the literature on vampires which he was familiar with, those
>who vampires bite become undead themselves and no longer
>have the capacity to resist.

So because of this implication he should not have implied
that capital is vampirically undead as it appropriates
the sensuous life of the living? What is your point?
And what is wrong with the depiction of horror as that
fictional situation in which the enslaved have
lost the capacity for resistance? Why shouldn't
such a situation be depicted? And there is resistance to
vampires in vampire movies!  In the Wesley Snipes movie
I fell asleep watching in a hotel or a plane, he does kill
the evil empires. He is half vampire, I think. But that's
similar to the proletariat which is both inside and outside
the system. So I really have no idea what you are talking
about. I don't think you have watched vampire movies; have
you?

It seems to me that all you are doing is appropriating Neocleous'
idea in order to diminish it.

Here are plot summaries for Snipes' and Carpenter's movies.
I sorta watched both, but could not get through either. But
I am pretty sure you are wrong.

Plot Summary for
Blade (1998)
When Blade's mother was bitten by a vampire during pregnancy, she did
not know that she gave her son a special gift while dying: All the
good vampire attributes in combination with the best human skills.
Blade grew up to be a vampire hunter for revenge on his mother's
death. The vampires, who managed to infiltrate nearly every major
organization, need Blade's very special blood to summon La Magra, the
blood god, in order to reign over the human cattle, as they call us.

Plot Summary for
Vampires (1998)
The church has long known that vampires exist. However, it is
discovered that a group of vampires are searching for a powerful doom
for mankind. The Vatican then secretly enlists a team of
vampire-hunters, led by Jack Crow, to hunt down and destroy the
vampires before they find the crucifix.
Summary written by {jculver@gonzaga.edu}
Since his parents had been killed by vampires in front of his eyes,
Jack Crow lives for revenge. As a grown-up, he is a fanatic
vampire-hunter who works with a good team in a professional manner.
One night, after the successful deletion of a nest, the master
vampire Valek successfully deletes his team and the party hookers. As
Valek knew Jack's name, Jack knows that the vampires are up to
something big. Together with his only living colleague Tony Montoya,
Katrina, a hooker who will turn into a vampire soon, and newly
assigned unexperienced greenhorn priest Father Adam Guiteau he sets
out to find the black cross first. If they fail, vampires can walk in
the sun from then on.

rb