[OPE-L] Buying time?

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 13:40:06 EDT

Hi jerry,

No doubt you are correct that time as such (as an ontological attribute of
reality) cannot itself be a commodity...

What are some examples of where time _itself_ is bought and sold?

Well, think of:

- forms of wage labor
- credit and futures obligations
- any form of sale of attention
- sale of body organs necessary for somebody to live at all, or sale of  the
"hosting" of an embryo in a womb
- purchase of medical treatment to prolong life
- or any arrangement where you have to pay to exist at all.

No doubt you would object though, that what is bought and sold is not the
elusive quality of time as such. I guess that was what the programme was
referring to. I was told once that strictly speaking time does not exist for
the human brain at all - the mind constructs the awareness of the passing of
time using spatial or kinesthetic referents.

Jurriaan

Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me