Re: [OPE-L] Ajit's Paper on Sraffa and Late Wittgenstein

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 12:11:23 EDT

--- Ian Wright <wrighti@ACM.ORG> wrote:

> Hi Ajit
>
> Thanks for forwarding this paper. It's another
> excellent paper from
> you that draws out the implications for value theory
> of the work of
> Sraffa. I have learnt a lot from reading your work
> on this issue, and
> I admire the way you very carefully and logically
> deduce the
> anti-essentialist conclusions.
>
> Of course, these conclusions regarding value theory
> are conditional on
> Sraffa's PCMC being free from error.
>
> I believe there is an important error in Sraffa's
> work. In essence,
> Sraffa's reduction to dated labour representation
> commits a real-cost
> accounting error. Sraffa fails to count the
> labour-cost of capitalist
> consumption, and therefore fails to properly
> distinguish between
> production with and without a capitalist class.
______________________
Hi, Ian! Thanks for reading and commenting on the
paper. I find your above statement about Sraffa's
mistake quite perplexing, since the question of
capitalists' consumption or non-consumption does not
come up anywhere in Sraffa's scheme including the
dated labor approach. The dated labor approach only
shows you how the price can be resolved into wages and
profits only. The power to (1+r) according to "dates"
does not imply any historical dates--it represents the
unending chane of production at a given point in time
only. Sraffa's system does not allow movement of time,
so the question of what happens to the commodities
produced at a given point of time has no implications
for his results. I think you are clearly making a
mistake in interpreting Sraffa here.
__________________________________

> The reasons why Sraffa's commits the accounting
> error are complex, but
> I believe it is fundamentally due to a shift in
> Sraffa's problematic
> away from an analysis of the necessary relations
> that obtain in a
> state of self-replacing equilibrium to the
> contingent relations that
> obtain under conditions of a change in the
> distribution of income.
> This shift occured in the 20's as partially
> documented by Kurz and
> Salvadori. Contrary to what you say in your paper, I
> believe that
> Sraffa's surplus equations fail to adhere to a
> strict objectivism, and
> hence this shift in Sraffa's problematic is not
> progressive. For
> example, the rate of profit becomes conditional on
> the subjective
> classification of worker consumption goods as either
> subsistence or a
> share of the surplus.
Not really! All you have to do to get over this
confusion is to think of Sraffa's system with a given
rate of profits, as Sraffa does, and not given wages.
Your confusion will simply melt away. Cheers, ajit
sinha