Re: [OPE-L] Ajit's Paper on Sraffa and Late Wittgenstein

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 12:26:58 EDT

Ajit,
I should add that I don't see how the Sraffian theory
allows us to understand how the real practical problems
of the organization and allocation of social labor are more or
less solved in a commodity capitalist society. You
can't get around practical problems by calling them metaphysical.

To get prices the Sraffian theory has to make the fantastic assumptions
of what the Unoists call a fodder wage and of what the temporalists
call simultaneism. There is moreover
no money and no change in technical conditions.
I think why the Sraffian theory works so well in science fiction
scenarios such a  a automation, I Robot, barter economy is
that it is not a theory of the real world capitalist economy in the
first place.

Which make quite odd the
use of Wittgenstein's essentially practical theory of langauge
to defend it.

For Marx value is the language game we must play to organize our
social labor relations once they are mediated through commodities. Value
disappears once social labor relations are not so organized. Marx would
not have said value exists in your I Robot economy.

Rakesh