Re: [OPE-L] Ajit's Paper on Sraffa and Late Wittgenstein

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 13:41:31 EDT

Dear Ian,

Sorry to be responding to you after so many days. I
was busy finishing one paper, only after that I could
get to your paper that you were so kind to send me. As
yet I have read only the first part –that is the part
on Sraffa—and have not yet gotten to the part on Marx.
So my comments will be only on Sraffa part. First of
all, let me congratulate you on writing a very fine
paper—something that has become very rare these days,
particularly in the Marxist tradition on value theory,
but then your paper is more in Sraffian tradition !
Now to criticisms.

Your basic point is that if you make Sraffa’s
‘surplus’ into ‘necessities’, then his system reverts
back to his ch.1 of ‘production for subsistence’
system, and in this system labor theory of value
prevails, as Adam Smith had already noted. As a matter
of fact, if this exercise turns out to be right, then
the talk of labor theory is superfluos since in this
case labor inputs can be substituted with
commodities—as Sraffa’s ch. 1 does.

Now the question is how do you do it, and can it be
done ? Now, to turn Sraffa’s surplus system into a
subsistence system you first reduce Sraffa’s wage
laborers into horses (some people out there who know
duddly da of Sraffa but think that they have all their
phoney baloney criticisms worked out should note that
Sraffa’s wages are ‘money’ wages and not
commodity-bundle wages) . On this basis you throw the
wage part from the net output side back to the input
side, which is more faithful to Marx. Then your next
step is to argue that within capitalist system, a
capitalist will not invest unless there is a return to
capital assured. Thus there is a price to capital
investment and profit is its price that must be paid
to bring about that investment. This, of course, is
the inducement theory and brings your approach close
to the Austrian approach to capital theory. Now,
without going into any details, here I would like you
to think of two questions. (1) Can you determine the
price of investment on the basis of the inducement
theory of price of capital investment ?—In your paper
you first determine the rate of profits from Sraffa’s
surplus equations and then throw them back on the
input side at a later stage, which creates a
conceptual contradiction in your model. In any case,
the second question I would like you to think about is
: even if it may sound plausible to think in terms of
inducement from an individual capitalist’s point of
view, does it work when one thinks for the system as a
whole ?

Now, let me turn to your novel idea of bringing ‘money
capital’ and price of ‘money capital’ in the model. I
think here you have gone wrong. Let me explain why ? I
think the fundamental mistake you commit is that you
forget that there is something called ‘commodity
capital’ in the hands of the firms all the time and
therefore they do not need ‘money capital’ advancement
from the capitalists’ households for production. Let
us suppose that your numeraire commodity is the money
commodity. After the production period is over all the
firms will hold their gross outputs, including the
firms producing the numeraire commodity. These firms
will use their numeraire commodity to buy other inputs
from other firms and also labor power and those
laborers in turn will again use their money to buy
other consumption goods. This puts the money in the
hands of other firms who in turn go about buying
inputs from other firms and also labor power. Thus the
money commodity circulates through the system, and
given your assumption of simple circulation schema,
gets completely absorbed in the system as inputs or
and consumption, including consumption by the
capitalists. Thus there is no need for an infusion of
money capital for the system to go around. As a matter
of fact your procedure amounts to double counting the
capital investment.

I hope in the light of my two recent papers you would
make some changes to your representation of Sraffa’s
system. Your matrix equations assume constant returns
to scale, but Sraffa’s does not—notice Sraffa’s
equations are always in terms of gross outputs and not
in terms of unit outputs. The case of ‘beans’ are not
important. In Sraffa’s context, which takes a given
system at any point of time, if ‘beans’ exist then he
has to take that into account and show that if the
rate of profits go beyond a certain rate in the basic
goods sector then the system cannot maintain equal
rate of profits and all positive prices at the same
time. I would say, giving up equal rate of profits is
no big deal in this case. But in your case, since you
are taking long-term equilibrium case, ‘beans’ should
simply disappear as the capitalists producing beans
will find it more profitable to quit bean production
and move into producing something basic. I hope some
of the comments were helpful. Cheers, ajit sinha

=== message truncated ===