Re: [OPE-L] Ajit's Paper on Sraffa and Late Wittgenstein

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 10:39:00 EDT

Ian, I forgot to reply to your comment on the 'beans',
you say:
"I think you're missing something more important here.
You think
"beans" should disappear because you assume that the
rate of profit is
determined by the basic subsystem. In a fully
specified state of
self-replacing equilibrium the rate of profit is not
determined by the
basic subsystem, it is determined by the system as a
whole. The
"beans", in this case, are "blocking goods" or, to use
a biological
term, "limiting factors" on the rate of growth of the
system. The
crucial question is whether the "beans" are also
inputs. We do not
know the answer to that if we stick with Sraffa's
undistributed
surplus."
___________
But if 'beans' are "blocking goods" then obviously
they are basics, no? In that case the problem
disappears since the maximum rate of profits cannot be
more than what can be earned by 'beans' sector. The
whole problem arises only if 'beans' are non-basics'.
In that case, they cannot be "blocking" the growth of
the basic sector. In your example, there is no
surplus--because you redefine 'surplus' as necessary.
Thus by definition there is no 'non-basics' in your
system and the 'beans' problem simply becomes
meaningless. Cheers, ajit sinha