Re: [OPE-L] monetary macro interpretation

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 11:49:09 EDT

Dear Fred,
I don't want to defend Shaikh's interpretation by saying that there
is no real change in the magnitude of surplus value through his iteration.
Or that even  a change in the nominal sum of surplus value could be proven
to be perfectly compatible with the labor theory of value (especially if one
understands Marx's critique of adding up theories of value and the residual
nature of surplus value in his theory).

I have my own interpretation of the problem, which you accurately
dubbed the inverse transformation problem. In my interpretation the givens
are indeed in the forms of money prices determined by market prices or prices
of production. The inputs don't have to be tranformed to prices or prices
of production, but in my opinion there is still a transformation
problem. An inverse
one.

My reading is neither yours nor Shaikh's nor the dominant one repeated ad
nauseum for one hundred  years.

  My quibbles with you are two fold--how you understand the transfer
of value from the means
of production and how macro is your macro interpretation.

Indeed the last quibble is with Marx as well as I don't think his thinking was
macro enough at times, perhaps the result of mistaken ontological commitments
coming out of his early period of critique of metaphysical illusions
see eg the Holy
Family.

I wrote in my last message about the latter problem (and to this bit you did
not respond):

King's Lexis dissolves the transformation problem and
the "unequal exchange" theory of the transfer of value.

First, an individual firm's quantity of surplus
value is not transformed into so much profit after surplus
value has been aggregated and redistributed according to an equal
profit rate rule.  The individual firm simply
never appropriated, was never in possession of so much surplus value.
There is no transformation of a firm's surplus value into a firm's profit.
There is only a distribution of total surplus value at an irreducibly
macro level to
profit at the micro level of the firm. Distribution moves from macro to micro,
from essence to appearance.
Lexis' response to Engels'  challenge seems not to solve the transformation
problem but to dissolve it.

Moreover, that surplus value may or may not
be distributed according to an equal profit rate rule.
  The rise of monopoly capital
interferes with distribution according to that rule; monopoly price can
exacerbate crises, preventing the price
deflation and/or scrapping that
  would stimulate new investments. That was central
to Preobrazhensky's crisis theory.
  The Sraffian theory, which  must assume profit rate equalization
for the equations to be soluble, cannot
handle this bit of reality. Since it has no theory of the firm, it can't
have a theory of monopoly firms.

Secondly, surplus value is  never transferred between
firms or branches, though it is obviously not
distributed in a rational way to meet social needs.

Surplus value, OCC, s/v are categories for the understanding
of total social capital, understood as a concrete individual.

The law of value asserts itself in a shortage of surplus value in
the system as a whole to sustain accumulation, resulting in
a general crisis (Grossman, Mattick).
That is, the law of value makes itself known
as the law of gravity asserts itself at the point a ceiling falls
down on one's head.

Marx's theory of surplus value is not a micro theory of relative
prices prices but a macro theory of collapse, though even at the micro
level the law of value makes itself felt in the changing of relative exchange
values over time.

Marx's theory is meant to show how the law of value asserts itself despite
non-accidental immediate appearances to the contrary.