Re: [OPE-L] workers' consumption and capitalists' consumption

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 14:44:15 EDT

--- Ian Wright <wrighti@ACM.ORG> wrote:

> [...]
> allocated to the two sectors.
>
> In the circular flow representation of this
> 2-commodity economy there
> are 4 sectors: 2 for iron and wheat, 1 for worker
> households and 1 for
> capitalist households. The 10t. of iron is allocated
> to a single
> sector, the capitalist household sector. It is not
> directly allocated
> to either of the iron or wheat sectors. However, I
> don't think this
> affects the underlying point you are trying to make.
>
> > You agree that it has be to allocated in
> > terms of the profits received by the capitalists
> in
> > the two sectors and the rate of profits on the
> value
> > of capital investment must be equal. But then
> there is
> > no way of finding how to allocate the 10t. of iron
> > the two sector capitalists unless you solve
> Sraffa's
> > equations.
>
> Yes that is true.
>
> Capitalist consumption coefficients (in contrast to
> capitalist
> consumption) is the vector of real consumption per
> unit of
> money-capital supplied.
>
> I think you mean to say that "there is no way of
> finding" the
> capitalist consumption coefficients unless we know
> the prevailing
> prices of production. That's because capitalist
> consumption is per
> unit of money-capital supplied, but money-capital
> supplied depends on
> prices. Is this a correct interpretation of your
> point? If so, I agree
> with you, but not with the conclusion you draw from
> this.
>
> Consider the following: if we start from Sraffa's
> surplus equations
> then we do solve Sraffa's surplus price equations in
> order to
> construct the circular flow representation. The
> money-capital
> coefficients and the capitalist consumption
> coefficients are
> determined upto the choice of numeraire equation.
> Hence, from this
> starting point, the circular flow matrix has a
> degree of freedom and
> is parameterised by a numeraire equation. There is
> an infinite set of
> circular flow representations corresponding to the
> infinite set of
> Sraffian price solutions. If a numeraire equation is
> specified then an
> element from each set is chosen. Their price and
> quantity solutions
> are mutually consistent.
>
> This manifests in a simple way in the corn-economy
> example in the
> appendix of my paper, which will be easier to follow
> compared to
> Sraffa's 2-commodity example.
>
> Sraffa's lower-dimensional surplus equations are
______________________

Ian, I took a look at your corn-economy model. I think
it confirms the conceptual error I am talking about.
In your corn model, when the rate of profit is zero
your real cost accounting and Sraffa's labor-value
accounting give the same result, that is the
labor-value of 1t. of corn is 500 hours. Then you cut
the wages of workers in half, and a rate of profit of
66.3% emerges. Now, in this case also, Sraffa's labor
accounting gives you the same labor-value equal to
500; however, your real cost accounting says that the
labor-value in the second case must increase to 1000
hours. At this stage, I think, you should have paused
for a minute and thought in English rather than
mathematics. How could one by simply taking food from
the laborers and giving it to the capitalists increase
the labor-values of goods? You are saying that the
labor-time needed to produce a ton of corn doubles
simply by taking half of the corn from the mouth of
the laborers and giving it to the capitalists. Now,
there has to be something wrong with such a statement,
isn't it?

The whole question of numeraire and also money in one
good corn model makes no sense to me. Here again it
seems you have allowed mathematics to take precedence
over common sense. Any way, let's stick to my above
comment for now. We can discuss all the other issues
later, but this one needs to be settled first. Cheers,
ajit