Re: [OPE-L] The value of labour-power

From: Philip Dunn (hyl0morph@YAHOO.CO.UK)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 20:13:13 EDT

Hi Rakesh

You asked: Should we thus not think of it as commodity proper?

I was suggesting only that it not be thought of as a capitalistically
produced commodity. I would change the language used and talk about the
producer commodity and its labour-power. Its labour-power is to be
understood as its potential for labour activity. On the identity theory,
this labour activity is identical to value creating activity.

Marx's treatment of "the value of labour-power" always seemed a bit
hesitant to me. It reliance on the reproduction of the worker just seems
wrong.

So, I am putting the identity theory up for discussion.