Re: [OPE-L] A past experience: Ernest Mandel turned away from the land of the free

From: ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 16:37:08 EDT

John and everyone else:

We must fight this!  This precedent could be used against _any_ other
radical scholar who wishes to visit the USA and, if upheld, would
effectively mean the end of international participation by Marxists
at scholarly conferences in this country.  And that would effectively
mean the end of those conferences!

On the 'bright' side, it shows that the ruling class internationally
still fears Marxists, including Marxian scholars.  In prohibiting you
from entering the USA, they have tipped their hand and shown that
the 'war on terrorism' is (among other things) a war on left-wing
radicalism, including radical _ideas_.

I well remember the Case of Ernest Mandel.  Indeed, one of my first
political acts (when I was a sophomore in high school in October, 1970)
was to circulate a petition on his behalf.  Eventually -- years later --
Mandel was allowed into this country.  But, it didn't happen by itself.
It required a concerted effort.  The tactics used by that defense
committee may or may not be best for this case.  We have new mediums to
wage a fight that Mandel's supporters didn't have -- including the
Internet, video-conferencing, etc.  (In that sense, they can -- at least
temporarily -- keep you physically out of the country, but you can be here
'virtually'!) In any event, imo, we have to do *something*.

What ideas do others have?

I regret that I will only be able to follow this discussion periodically.

In solidarity, Jerry