Re: [OPE-L] China: Labor Power Shortage Looms

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 16:46:55 EDT

I am sure that if one put a graduate student onto
it one could get data fairly rapidly. For china
I have been relying on proxy indicators for my
arguments looking at things like

- age structure of the population and projections
  thereof
- urbanisation figures
- figures for employment in village enterprises
  as a control on the number of those in the
  countryside who were no longer fully agricultural.

I think that there would in practice be no substitute
for spending a week or two collating the figures for
each of the major countries.