Re: [OPE-L] Grundrisse. Help

From: David Yaffe (david@DANYAF.PLUS.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 12:38:13 EDT

The first translation of the Grundrisse in English by Nicolaus was very
poor. It translated both Verwertung and Realisation by realisation. I
remember saying this at the time. I find the modern translation of
Verwertung as valorisation totally unhelpful and confusing. We should go
back to the edition which Engels was happy with and translate it as
'reproduction and expansion' of capital etc. At least it will help English
readers to begin to understand the concept rather than use a non-English
term which does not help in the slightest. My Concise Oxford dictionary
translates valorize as raise or fix the price of (a commodity etc) by
artificial means, esp by government action. And valorization [backformation
from valorization from French valorisation (as valour)]. This is totally
unhelpful as we would be better off with the German Verwertung.

David Yaffe