Re: [OPE-L] Charles Bettelheim

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2006 - 14:50:43 EDT

Hi Allin and Howard:

Did CB ever develop a systematic critique of the Maoist experience
in the PRC?

In solidarity, Jerry

----------------
Not in anything that I have seen published by him.

I was very impressed by his debates with Sweezy and with 'Calcule Economique',
and was at first very enthusiastic about 'Les Luttes des Classes en URSS'
when the first volume came out in the 70s.

I had anticipate that there would then be a volume on the 20s and 30s, and
then a third volume on the 40s to the 60s. I was most disappointed when
it petered out and went no further than the 30s. In the end it just ran
over familiar ground covered by Carr and others.

Paul Cockshott

www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc