Re: [OPE-L] Charles Bettelheim

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 18:06:15 EDT

> 'China Since Mao': First print-2000 copies; Second print: 1000 copies.
>   Cultural Revolution and Industrial Organization in China: First print:
> 1000 copies; Second print: 1000 copies. One may assume that at least 5
> to 10 persons must have read each copy printed.

Dear Ranganayakamma:

That's a pretty revealing statistic, I think.  This must make discussion
of the books difficult -- or, at least, protracted -- since they would be
passed on from one reader to the next.  By the time 5 - 10 people have
read a single copy, some time will have pased.  The fundamental cause for
this, I gather, is (social) necessity as a consequence of mass poverty.

Who are the other Marxist authors who wrote on political economy (besides
CB and yourself) who these groups are reading now?

In soilidarity, Jerry