[OPE-L] plan of Capital

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 01:31:57 EDT

I am still interested in the analysis of how Marx came to idealize capitalism
as a mode of production capable of self-reproduction and the functions played
by various forms in that self-reproduction. It does not seem to me that
Marx could be said to have been a theorist of the rise, growth and limits of
the capitalist mode of production until he was able to conceive of it
as a historically determinate  mode of production capable of
self-reproduction and dynamic change through that very process of
self-reproduction.
Of course to theorize capitalism as such
a mode of production implies--as Alex Callinicos would say in his Resources
of Critique--that social theory is in fact possible and that
the object of social theory is neither ahistorical social laws nor
cyclical phenomena.

Yours, Rakesh