[OPE-L] Grossman

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 01:26:26 EDT

I do think it would have been appropriate to
bring me on as a third author, and I would have
been happy to collaborate with Stavros if he had
only asked me to to clarify with him why Andrew's
argument is helpfully understood in terms of
Crotty's understanding of the relationship
between investment and profit. I suppose that
Stavros will suggest that there was an obvious
linkage between Trigg and Crotty and that he did
not have to consult my posts to make the
connection. At any rate, I don't think I should
be charged with petty egoism; I would have loved
to talk about Grossman or Kalecki or Trigg with
Stavros. Not only do I think should have been
credited for some of the arguments, I also could
have saved Stavros from some of his obvious
mistakes regarding Grossman, as I shall show.

As for the present: in a much appreciated offlist
post it was suggested to me that I move beyond my
perceived shafting, and I am ready to do so. So
I'll stick to the issues.

I don't agree with Stavros' very harsh judgement
of my OPE-L posts on Grossman. I do believe that
I have made some helpful clarifications to our
understanding of Grossman's reconstruction of
Marx's crisis theory; my offlist OPE-L
interlocutor praised strongly my contributions to
Grossman studies, though he is no fan of my
theoretical hero.

Now there is an error that both Stavros and
Andrew make--conflation of Bauer's schema with
Grossman's theory, a mistake which results from
taking the extended Bauer scheme to be a
representation of Grossman's actual arguments.

   Andrew writes:  "Mavroudeas & Ioannides defend
Grossmann's definition of capitalist consumption
as a  residual, calculated after capitalist
investment decisions." But Grossman did not
define capitalist consumption as a residual--that
Bauer did. And Grossman took issue with Bauer on
just this issue, for he claimed that in order to
maintain their ever better way of life,
capitalists would cut into wages and slow down
the development of the productive forces. So when
Andrew writes that "In direct contrast to Park,
autonomous capitalist consumption reduces
productivity" he could have noted that Grossman
reached the same conclusion, though for slightly
different reasons.  Andrew also writes: "It is
perfectly understandable that some Marxists
should be wary of any
attempt to give capitalist consumption an
autonomous role, and that they  mistakenly
consider this to be "an overemphasis on demand."
But Grossman did not think giving capitalist
consumption an autonomous role was wrong headed:
in fact just that drives the class struggle and
the fettering of the productive forces, as he
himself underlines!

I have provided the supporting quotes offlist to
Andrew (I include them at the bottom of this
post).

When Mavroudeas & Ioannides write "At this more
abstract level of analysis capitalists are solely
functioning entrepreneurs, i.e., their purpose is
capital accumulation and not a norm of personal
well-
being." they should have noted that Grossman
clearly rejected the image of capitalists as
solely functioning entrepreneurs. That was the
image built into the Bauer scheme, and Grossman
highlighted its unreality both in the book and in
his personal correspondence. No reference was
made to Grossman on this point in the exchange.

So when Stavros goes off on his own in defense of
Grossman, he clearly makes major mistakes. I feel
confident that Rick Kuhn was not asked to read
the response because the errors would have been
obvious to him.

At present, I am confused by the tiff on the rate
of surplus value. None of the interlocutors
comment
on Grossman's own attempt to render it variable
in the conclusion to his book. Andrew's
autonomous consumption expenditures require s/v
to rise but there is still the question of the
conditions of possibility for that to obtain.

OK here are the two quotes:

For accumulation to occur, surplus value must be deployable in a
threefold direction and must be divided into three corresponding
fractions:
i)         additional constant capital (ac)
ii)        additional variable capital (av) or additional means of
subsistence for workers
iii)       a consumption fund for the capitalists (k)
Each of these three fractions is equally essential to the further
expansion of production on a capitalist basis. If the available
surplus value could cover only the first two, accumulation would be
impossible. For the question necessarily arises - why do capitalists
accumulate? To provide additional employment to workers? From the
point of view of capitalists that would make no sense once they
themselves get nothing out of employing more workers.
  From the point of view of the distribution of income, such a mode of
production would end up losing its private capitalist character. Once
the k portion of surplus value vanishes, surplus value in the
specific sense of an income obtained without labour would have
disappeared. The other two fractions of surplus value, the additional
constant capital (ac) and the additional variable capital (av),
retain their character of surplus value only so long as they are
means for the production of the consumption fund of the capitalist
class. Once this portion disappears, not an atom of unpaid labour
falls to the share of the capitalists. For the entire variable
capital falls to the share of the working class, once the means of
production have been replaced out of it. Surplus value in the sense
of unpaid labour, of surplus labour over and above the time required
to produce essential means of subsistence, would have vanished. All
means of consumption would now form necessary means of consumption.
So it follows that the k portion is an essential characteristic
condition of the accumulation of capital.
The vacuous and scholastic manner in which Luxemburg argues is
apparent now. Contemptuously she dismisses this element from her
analysis:
And yet, the growing consumption of the capitalists can certainly not
be regarded as the ultimate purpose of accumulation; on the contrary,
there is no accumulation in as much as this consumption takes place
and increases; the personal consumption of the capitalists must be
regarded as simple reproduction. (1968, p. 334)
Luxemburg does not bother to explain how under simple reproduction
the consumption of the capitalists can actually grow in the long run.
Regarding the purpose of accumulation Marx tells us that the aim of
the entire process 'does not by any means exclude increasing
consumption on the part of the capitalist as his surplus value ...
increases; on the contrary, it emphatically includes it' (1956, p.
70). But to Luxemburg accumulation only seems to make sense if the
consumption of capitalist commodities is left to the non-capitalist
countries. This belongs completely in the tradition of mercantilism:
we find that certain exponents of the mercantile system ... deliver
lengthy sermons to the effect that the individual capitalist should
consume only as much as the labourer, that the nation of capitalists
should leave the consumption of their own commodities, and the
consumption process in general, to the other, less intelligent
nations. (Marx, 1956, p. 60)
Obviously Marx had anticipated the whole of Luxemburg's theory.
We should not suppose, however, that the capitalist simply waits
passively until the entire k portion has been swallowed up. Long
before any such time (at latest from in the scheme when the k portion
begins to decline absolutely) he will do his utmost to halt the
tendency. In order to do this he must either cut the wages of the
working class or cease to observe the conditions postulated for
accumulation, that is, the condition that constant capital must
expand by 10 per cent annually to absorb the annual increase in the
working population at the given technological level. This would mean
that from now on accumulation would proceed at a slower rate, say 9.5
or 8 per cent. The tempo of accumulation would have to be slowed
down, and that, too, permanently and to an increasing degree. In that
case accumulation would fail to keep step with the growth of the
population. Fewer machines and so on would be required or installed,
and this only means that the productive forces would be constrained
from developing.
It also follows that from this point in time on a growing reserve
army would necessarily form. The slowing down of accumulation and the
formation of the industrial reserve army must necessarily follow even
if wages are assumed to be constant throughout this period. At any
rate, it would not be the result of an increase in wages, as Bauer
supposes.

http://marxists.architexturez.net/archive/grossman/1929/breakdown/ch02.htm

And here is another quote:
Br[aunthal] referred, with a comic smile, to the
fact that Marx predicted an intensification of
proletarian poverty, whereas I, on the other
hand, deduce the breakdown of capitalism 'from a
kind of impoverishment of the capitalists'. From
Otto Bauer's numerical example, I deduce the
'amazing result' that the entrepreneur's revenue
not only declines relatively, but after the 21st
year declines absolutely and finally in the 35th
year disappears entirely. That is, supposedly,
'in brief the idea underlying' my theory of
so-called overaccumulation (p. 294). There is not
a trace of this in my work. Nowhere have I said
that capitalism will go under due to the
impoverishment of the capitalists. I showed,
rather, that an increasingly large part of
surplus value (Ac) is, under the assumptions of
Bauer's scheme, devoted to accumulation. The
remainder, available for the consumption of the
capitalists and workers, does not suffice. As a
consequence an increasingly sharp struggle
between workers and entrepreneurs over the level
of wages necessarily flares up. If workers
continue to receive the same wage, then nothing
remains for the entrepreneurs. If, however,
entrepreneurs maintain and where possible even
increase their living standard, then they force
down the level of wages, i.e. from this point on
the impoverishment of the workers necessarily
sets in. That, however, drives the workers to
revolutionŠ

http://www.marxists.org/archive/grossman/1929/breakdown/braunthal.htm

As for my own work, I have recently written three
pieces on debates centered around early
capitalism (I am interested in the nature of wage
labour, the theory of history, and the old
transition debate); my credentials are in ethnic
and racial studies, but I am interested in saving
Marxism from dismissal as Eurocentric or
Orientalist ideology, though unlike Aijaz Ahmed I
do think there are real problems here.

I have received very helpful comments from many
OPE-L members to whom I sent the papers.

I would be happy to share them offlist with other listmembers.

Rakesh