Re: [OPE-L] query: 'previous' or 'primitive' or 'original' accumulation?

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 14:31:37 EDT

Hi Michael P:

Well, that raises more questions than it answers --

The word that Smith used was "previous": [see footnote at the bottom of
p. 873, Penguin ed.: "'The accumulation of stock must, in the nature of
things, be previous to the division of labour' (Adam Smith, _Wealth of
Nations_, Bk II, Introduction.")].   Marx refers in parenthesis in the 1st
para of Ch. 26 to "the 'previous accumulation' of Adam Smith" (Ibid).

Since Marx was aware of the original wording, why did he choose the word
"ursprunglichen"  to denote "previous"?  Note that this was a decision which
Marx himself, rather than a translator, made.

In solidarity, Jerry

Michael P write:
> Smith's Original becomes Ursprunlich becomes primitive.  I think that it
> improves with each mistranslation.
Jerry asked: