Re: [OPE-L] Capital reproduction theories and the facts

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 04:47:39 EDT

If you look at a single nation, then net financial assets can be
positive if citizens
of that nation have made net loans abroad.

I think we have to differentiate what are in principle 3 classes of
assets which
are being grouped in the net worth here:

1. Ownership of equities, direct or indirect, this represents the
current price
    placed on the stock of constant and variable capital
2. Ownership of houses - this is value but not capital, unless it is
being rented out.
3. Holdings of bank deposits and bonds, these are financial assets
properly speaking
   and it is these that cancel out overall. One complication here is tha
the nominal liability
   represented by a bond will deviate above or below its current price,
hence at a period
   of unusually low interest rates the value of holding the bonds will
exceed their nominal repayment liability
   value and vice versa when interest rates are high.

--
Paul Cockshott
Dept Computing Science

0141 330 3125