[OPE-L] Economics for Humans

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 11:15:36 EDT

The Global Development and Environment Institute at Tufts University
is pleased to announce the publication of:

Economics for Humans
by Julie A. Nelson
(The University of Chicago Press, $16.00 Cloth)

Is it asking too much to demand that businesses be socially and
environmentally responsible? When child care and elder care are
commercially supplied, is caring turned into just another commodity? Many,
believing that economies are cold and heartless systems that operate
outside human control, would answer yes. But in this impassioned and
perceptive work, Julie A. Nelson debunks theories that teach us that our
economic lives are somehow separate from our moral values and our human
relationships. Nothing less than a manifesto, Economics for Humans will
both invigorate and inspire readers to rethink the way they view the
economy, its possibilities, and their place within it.

"A stunning rebuke of conventional assumptions that describe our economic
system...Everyone who...cares about social science-should read this book."
-- Nancy Folbre, author of The Invisible Heart: Economics and Family Values

"Julie Nelson...helps point the way to a richer, more descriptive way of
thinking about economic life."
-- Robert H. Frank, author of Luxury Fever: Money and Happiness in an Era
of Excess

For more information see <http://www.gdae.org>

Or
<http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/publications/other_books/economics_for_humans.html>

Buy this book at your local bookstore or order from University of Chicago
Press.